首页 > >
New Zealand mosque killer may appeal life term******
The man who killed 51 Muslim worshippers at mosques in New Zealand's Christchurch is considering appealing against his life sentence, saying his guilty plea after the 2019 attack was obtained under duress, his lawyer told state radio yesterday.。
White supremacist Brenton Tarrant, 31, was sentenced to jail for life without parole last year for the murder of 51 people and attempted murder of 40 others at two mosques in Christchurch on March 15, 2019, the worst mass shooting in the country's history.。
It was the first time a court in New Zealand had sentenced a person to prison for the rest of their life.。
Tarrant's lawyer, Tony Ellis, told Radio New Zealand he was advised by his client that he pleaded guilty last year because of "inhumane and degrading treatment" he experienced while awaiting trial.。
Ellis, who only took over as Tarrant's lawyer recently, has made the claim on his client's behalf in a memo to the coroner's court that has launched an investigation into all aspects of the Christchurch attack and whether due processes were followed.。
"He said because of how he was treated while he was awaiting trial and afterwards, (that affected) his will to carry on and he decided that the simplest way out was to plead guilty," Ellis said.。
"By this, he means he was subject to inhuman or degrading treatment whilst on remand, which prevented a fair trial."
Ellis said he had advised his client to appeal against his life sentence without parole, because it is what is called a "sentence of no hope" and breached the Bill of Rights, and he was considering it.。
Ellis said that he was instructed by his client only to speak to selected domestic media outlets.。
Tarrant, an Australian national, stormed two mosques in Christchurch armed with military-style semi-automatics, indiscriminately shooting at Muslims gathered for Friday prayers and livestreaming the killings using a head-mounted camera.。
China announces 16******
BEIJING, Nov. 14 (Xinhua) -- China announced its 16-player national men's basketball team on Sunday in preparation for the 2023 FIBA Basketball World Cup Asian qualifiers later this month.。
The Guangdong Southern Tigers and the Liaoning Flying Leopards, the finalists of last year's Chinese Basketball Association (CBA) season, each has four players called up for training sessions to be held in Ningbo, east China's Zhejiang Province between November 15 and 22.。
Guangdong's Zhou Peng, Ren Junfei, Xu Jie and Zhao Rui have been called up to the national squad, which is also led by their club coach Du Feng.。
Han Dejun, Guo Ailun, Zhao Jiwei and Zhang Zhenlin are the representatives from Liaoning.。
"The players are selected on the basis of our coaching group's evaluation toward their performance in the CBA league, and consideration of their physical condition and their opponents' style of play," explained Du.。
The eight other recruits are Shanghai Sharks center Wang Zhelin, Wu Qian of the Zhejiang Golden Bulls, the Zhejiang Lions duo of Hu Jinqiu and Sun Minghui, Shenzhen Aviators center Shen Zijie, Qi Lin and Abdusalam Abdurexit from the Xinjiang Flying Tigers, and Zhou Qi from the Australian National Basketball League (NBL).。
China will play a double-header against Japan during the first window of the Asian qualifiers on November 27 and 28.。
Du expected all the players to cherish every opportunity of playing for the national team and show their worth in international competitions.。
"We hope to reflect our mentality as the Chinese team, whether facing adversity or being in a leading position down the stretch," he said.。
China's other opponents in Group B of the Asian qualifiers are Australia and Chinese Taipei.。
The 2023 FIBA World Cup will be staged in Indonesia, Japan and the Philippines, marking the first time that the tournament will be hosted by multiple countries. Enditem。
Russia, Ukraine end 2nd round of talks, agree to organize humanitarian corridors******
Ukrainian Defence Minister Oleksii Reznikov (left) shakes hands with Russian negotiators prior the talks between delegations from Ukraine and Russia in Belarus' Brest region on March 3, 2022.
Russia and Ukraine agreed to organize humanitarian corridors to evacuate civilians in the second round of talks in Belarus on Thursday, adviser to the Head of the President's Office of Ukraine Mykhailo Podoliak confirmed on Twitter.
"There is a solution only for the organization of humanitarian corridors," Podoliak tweeted.
During the talks on Thursday, the two sides discussed military issues, humanitarian issues, and a future political settlement of the conflict, said Russian presidential aide Vladimir Medinsky, also the head of the Russian delegation.
"The positions were made absolutely clear ... On some of them, we managed to reach an understanding," he said, noting that creating humanitarian corridors is "substantial progress."
Russia's TASS news agency reported earlier Thursday that the second round of talks has ended.
Podoliak told a media briefing that the third round of peace negotiations may take place soon, according to Ukrainian media.
Earlier in the day, Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky, when commenting on the peace negotiations, said that "any talks" make sense.